The school is located on Makira, also known as San Cristobal, a mountainous island with limited infrastructure. Our Lady Queen of Martyrs is the only Catholic secondary school on Makira.
About this project
There is no inland transportation or roads in the east of Makira, where Wainoni Bay is located, people travel by boat or walk for hours on foot, and there is no mobile phone network, internet connection or electricity. Many people in the region live well below the poverty line relying on subsistence farming for survival. Our Lady Queen of Martyrs’ priority is to provide a haven for students to stay on site in the boarding facilities and be protected in an increasingly unpredictable tropical climate.
This project aims to improve the facilities at Our Lady Queen of Martyrs Secondary school so that students, staff and the wider community can access inclusive and equitable quality education.
The re-establishment of Catholic education in Wainoni Bay is critical not just for Catholic families but for the development of the region. Parishioners who are skilled carpenters are involved in the revitalization of Our Lady Queen of Martyrs as they are committed to bringing benefits to their wider community.
Whilst the school is functioning, there is still a long way to go, with a range of objectives to still be achieved, including:
- Providing safe and sustainable learning and living for students and staff by renovating and adding to current facilities.
- Increase the school’s capacity to cater to larger numbers of students.
- Engage with the broader community to promote greater collaboration and desire for youth to attend school.
This project will involve a range of activities, including:
- Constructing and renovating classrooms, ablution blocks, and a library. These buildings also need to be appropriately fitted out and resourced.
- Installing solar panels and batteries and water tanks for sustainable generation of electricity.
- The provision of more staff houses will be another major need as the school grows.
How you can help...
By supporting Catholic Mission, you will be helping project such as these which to provide youth with greater education opportunities, increasing the wellbeing of the entire local community.
Below are examples of ways your gift can help support the work of the Church in both the Solomon Islands and communities in other countries around the world.
Fulfill long term hope with a monthly donation today, and help provide vital support around the world. Your generosity makes a real difference.